ERICKA HARNEY, CAE, CFRE, GPC, CVA
- Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (CAGS) Eastern University
- M.A. University of Kentucky
- B.S. University of Kentucky
- B.B.A. University of Kentucky
Ericka Harney has joined Future Generations University to teach Nonprofit Management during a long career in the nonprofit sector. She is currently finishing a Ph.D. in Nonprofit Organizational Leadership from Eastern University while serving as a consultant in strategic planning, fundraising, grant development, governance, program development and evaluation, and nonprofit management. Ericka has been faculty for several graduate and undergraduate programs in fundraising and communications, is a federal grant reviewer, and is a previously an Executive Director. Ericka has served as an international representative for Girl Scouts of the USA, raised millions for great missions & co-founded a social enterprise. She is a contributing author for industry publications & a guest on several blogs and podcasts.
Certifications and Accreditations
- Approved Trainer, Grant Professionals Association, February 2016, Expires 2022 GPA – www.grantprofessionals.org
- Certified Association Executive (CAE), Conferred January 2016, Expires 2021 ASAE – www.asaecenter.org, ID#8805
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE), Conferred July 2009, Expires 2021
- CFRE International – www.cfre.org, ID# 45306
- Grant Professional Certified (GPC), Conferred August 2008, Expires 2020
- Grant Professionals Certification Institute – www.grantcredential.org, ID# AT080004
- Certified in Volunteer Administration (CVA), Conferred April 2007, Expires 2022
- Council for Certification in Volunteer Administration – www.cvacert.org, ID# 6147
- Harney, E. (2016). Grant E-News – Issues: March. Grant Professionals Association.
- Harney, E., & Paree, S. (2015). The grant divide: Bridging the gap between the grant and accounting worlds. Journal of the Grant Professionals Association, 13.
- Various authors. (2012). The Book of the States 2012. The Council of State Governments.
- Various authors. (2011). The Book of the States 2011. The Council of State Governments.
- Harney, E. (2011). States Creating Their Own Agricultural Brands. Capitol Research Brief.
- Harney, E. (2011). A different kind of welcome center. Capitol Ideas, March/April, 20.
- Harney, E. (2011). Capitol Facts & Figures: State Contracting and Financing for Human Services.
- Harney, E. (2009). Creating impact with policymakers: Cases of building cross sector partnerships to build stronger programs and grant applications. Journal of the American Association of Grant Professionals, 7, 16-24.
- Hottinger, J., Gillettet, C., Pennings, L., Reitman, T., Shurford, E., Keating, M., Gumpert, R., Boyce, K., Harney, E., Miller, D., Cotkin, A., Fischer, K., Shiffman, J., Shook, S., & Crosby, N. (2009). Citizens Jury on Election Recounts Draft Report. Retrieved from
- Harney, E. (2009). State of Volunteers: Rising Interest in Volunteerism Benefits States.
- State News, 52.
- Harney, E. (2009), From the Expert: Grant Expectations for Competitive Stimulus Funds. State e-News, Issue #17, April 2, 2009.
- Harney, E. (2008). State Programs Find a Firmer Foundation. State News, 51(10), 34-37.
- Harney, E. (2008). What’s on Your Profile? A potential danger no longer reserved for young professionals alone. Business Lexington, April 4.
- Harney, E. (2007). Predatory lending and subprime loans”, young professionals as a target group for predatory lending. Business Lexington, September 21.
- Harney, E. (2004). Gaining volunteers: Comparing statistical versus narrative messages when recruiting new volunteers. Master’s Research Project, University of Kentucky.
- Harney, E. (2003). Finding Your Promotional Creativity: Kick the “Box” to the Curb!, Programming 101 Feature Article. Programming (National Association of Campus Activities), Fall.
- Harney, E. (2018). Grant E-News – Issues: March, June, September. Grant Professionals Association.
Recent Presentations and Panels
- May 2019: Federal & State Grants: Navigating the Process, Dayton Metro Public Library, Dayton, OH
- March 2019: Pro Panel Participant, ReWrite: Bringing Creativity to Your Fundraising and Grant Writing Regional Conference, Lexington, KY
- March 2019: Succession Planning for Chapter Leadership, International Coach Federation Global Leaders Forum, Dublin, Ireland
- November 2018: Keynote Speaker, National Philanthropy Day, Association of Fundraising Professionals, Springfield, OH
- November 2018: Vision Boards – A Creative Inspiration for Your Future, Grant Professionals Association Conference, Chicago, IL
- September 2018: The Other Side of the Application: Become a Peer Reviewer. Grant Professionals Association Ohio Regional Conference, Columbus, OH
- September 2018: Diversify the Cash Stash: Earned Income for Nonprofits, Grant Professionals Association Ohio Regional Conference, Columbus, OH
- August 2018: The Other Side of the Application: Become a Peer Reviewer. Grant Professionals Association-Greater Miami Valley Chapter Meeting
- April 2018 : Embrace Savviness! Soft Skills Are Out, Being Savvy Is In! Southern Regional Grant Conference, Atlanta, GA
- April 2018: Vision Boards – A Creative Inspiration for Your Future, Southern Regional Grant Conference, Atlanta, GA
- 2014 – 2017: Savvy Series Webinars, AFWA, Lexington, KY; Topics have included: Emotional Intelligence, Staying Relevant, Nonverbal Communications and others
- November 2017: Understanding Financial Statements without Going Bald, Grant Professionals Association Conference, San Diego, CA
- October 2017:Brand You: Personal Branding, Association of Professional Dog Trainers Annual Conference, Richmond, VA
- October 2017:Furry Funding: Fundraising and Grant Basics for Shelters and Rescues, Association of Professional Dog Trainers Annual Conference, Richmond, VA
- October 2017:Reward for Caring-Social Responsibility, Association of Professional Dog Trainers Annual Conference, Richmond, VA
- October 2017 : Grant Basics: Applying & Being Successful, VISTA training at The Plantory, Lexington, KY
- June 2017 : Board Members and Grants, Southern Regional Grant Conference, Atlanta, GA
- June 2017 :Understanding Financial Statements, Southern Regional Grant Conference, Atlanta, GA
- April 2017 : Being Savvy: Moving Past People Skills to be a Better Leader, Tobias Leadership Conference, Indianapolis, IN
- April 2017 : Presidential Leadership in the Movies, Tobias Leadership Conference, Indianapolis, IN
- November 2016 : Everyday Leadership, Grant Professionals Association Conference, Atlanta, GA
- November 2016: Vision Boards, Grant Professionals Association Conference, Atlanta, GA
- November 2016 : Volunteers Aren’t Free, Ignite Session, Grant Professionals Association Conference, Atlanta, GA
- October 2016 : Fundraising and Grant Basics, Association of Professional Dog Trainers Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV
- May 2016 :Communicating with Your Peers, AFWA Spring Conference, Billings, MT
- April 2016 :Succession Planning as Planned Behavior: Sustaining Volunteer Leadership, Tobias Leadership Conference, Indianapolis, IN