- B.S. Agricultural Business (Agricultural Economics & Farm Management); University Wisconsin-River Falls, River Falls, WI
- University Wisconsin-River Falls; graduate work leading to K-8 teaching license in WI and WV (current); WY pending, River Falls, WI
- M.S. Agriculture, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- Certified Travel Industry Specialist (CTIS) from Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)
Cindy Martel grew up in the mountains of New England surrounded by buckets and maple syrup. She moved to West Virginia in 1988 and began a 25+ year stint as a marketing specialist at the state department of agriculture after hanging up her marketing director hat and whitewater guide stick in 1994. She remained connected with the outdoor recreation industry during her tenure at department of agriculture working with one of the state’s largest outfitter in marketing and logistics roles.
Cindy welcomed the opportunity to join Future Generations working on marketing and regulatory components of the comprehensive agribusiness development plan for the state’s “first” and “sweetest” crop of the season. She is excited to join the maple team at Future Generations and continue to cultivate agritourism in the Mountain State.
- Roper, C. “Sino-Vietnamese Relations and the Economy of Vietnam’s Border Region.” Asian Survey, vol. 40, no. 6, 2000, pp. 1019–1041.
- Singh-Knights, Doolarie; Martel, Cynthia. “Showcasing the Best of West Virginia Agriculture-Partnerships and Collaborations in the Agritourism Supply Chain”; 2018 West Virginia Women in Agriculture Conference
- Martel, Cindy and Singh-Knights, Doolarie. “Tap to Table: The Business of Marketing Your Syrup Business”; 2018 Southern Syrup Symposium
- Singh-Knights, Doolarie; Martel, Cindy, Rechlin, Mike. “Promoting Sustainability through Cluster Development in the Agritourism Supply Chain”; 2018 Southern Syrup Symposium
- Singh-Knights, Doolarie; Martel, Cindy, Rechlin, Mike. “Cluster Development and Collaboration in the Agritourism Supply Chain-The Mountain State Maple Days”; 2018 Extension Risk Management Education National Conference. Contributor
- Martel, Cindy and Singh-Knights, Doolarie. “A Look at West Virginia Agritourism Now and Years to Come”; 2018 West Virginia Governors Conference on Tourism.
- Singh-Knights, Doolarie; Martel, Cynthia; Eades, Daniel; et al. “West Virginia Agritourism Economic Impact Survey 2016”
- Singh-Knights, D., and C. Martel (2016). Innovation and Collaboration in the Agritourism Supply Chain – Cluster Development and Implications for Marketing. Presentation in the Proceedings of the 2016 ANREP/NACDEP Conference, Burlington, VT, June 26-29th, 2016.
- Singh-Knights, D., and C. Martel (2016). Building Viable Agritourism Operations through Business Planning and Risk-Management Education – The ‘WV Agritourism Initiative’. Poster presentation in the Proceedings of the 2016 ANREP/NACDEP Conference, Burlington, VT, June 26-29th, 2016.
- Singh-Knights, D., and C. Martel (2015). Linking Agriculture, Tourism, Economics and Education While Building Rural Communities. Research Presentation in Proceedings of the VT Agritourism Collaborative Conference – Welcoming Customers on Your Farm to Increase Farm Profits, April 7-8, 2015, Burlington, VT.
- Singh-Knights, D., Daisy Bailey and C. Martel (2015). Linking Agriculture, Tourism, Economics and Education through Cluster Development in Rural Communities. Invited Workshop Presentation in the Proceedings of the 2015 National Extension Tourism Conference, Galveston, Texas. October 27-29, 2015. Singh-Knights, D (2015).
- Singh-Knights, D., and Martel, C. (2014). Building Rural Communities through Collaborations and an Expanding Agritourism-Based Model – Agritourism, Education and Economics on your Farm. Research 8 Presentation at the Food Systems Summit, Burlington, VT, June, 2014.
- Singh-Knights, D., Martel, C., Richmond, J., Bailey, D., and Poling, J. (2014). Agritourism, Education and Economics on your Farm – Tools for Risk Management Centered Decision-Making. Research Presentation at the 2014 Women in Agriculture Educators National Conference – Indianapolis, IN, April 2-3, 2014.