Professor Equity & Empowerment (Natural History)
- Ph.D. Michigan State University
- M.S. Michigan State University
- B.A. Albion College
Since growing up in the foothills of the Himalayas in India, Robert Fleming (Bob) has been interested in the beauty of nature. Later, this evolved into fascination with the natural history and cultural diversity of our planet. With a Ph.D. in zoology, and with the advent of commercial jet travel, Bob has been able to explore many of the planet’s special biological regions ranging from the Namib Desert in Africa to the Tropical Rainforest of the Amazon, and the Mountain Tundra biome of the Himalayas.
He has worked for the Smithsonian’s Office of Ecology and the Royal Nepal Academy. Along with his father and Royal Nepal Academy Director-Lain Singh Bangdel, he wrote and illustrated “Birds of Nepal,” the first modern field guide to the birds of the region. In addition to his work with Future Generations, Bob is the director of Nature Himalayas, a sole proprietorship that he began in 1970. Through this company, Bob has led some 250 outings. He currently lives in the temperate rainforest of western Oregon in the USA’s Pacific Northwest.
- Canoeing Down the Zambezi by Robert L. Fleming Jr., May 2011.
- Peru’s Inter-Oceanic Highway by Robert L. Fleming Jr., February 2010.
- Bishnoi and Antelope in India by Robert L. Fleming Jr., February 2010.
- An Urban Park: Lodi Gardens in New Delhi, India by Robert L. Fleming Jr., July 2006.
- Butterflies and Natural History of the Siang Valley, Arunachal Pradesh, India by Robert L. Fleming Jr., July 2006.
- Fleming, Robert, et al. Across the Tibetan Plateau: Ecosystems, Wildlife, and Conservation. 2006
- A Note on the Rhesus Macaque Monkeys in Tibet, China by Robert L. Fleming Jr., May 2006.
- Natural History Notes on the Po Tsangpo and Rong Chu Confluence, Linzhi Prefecture, Se Tibet by Robert L. Fleming Jr., May 2006.
- Notes on Some Ecological Aspects of Gongga Shan Hailouguo Geopark, Sichuan, China by Robert L. Fleming Jr., April 2006.
- A Note on the Altai Mountains and the Kazakh Eagle Hunters by Robert L. Fleming Jr., June 2005.
- Notes on Demoiselle Cranes (Anthropoides Virgo) in Asia by Robert L. Fleming Jr., February 2005.
- Fleming, Robert and Lisa Fleming. Kathmandu Valley (This beautiful world; V.61). 1979
- Fleming, Sr. Robert L., Fleming Jr. Robert, Bangdel, Lain Singh. Birds of Nepal: With reference to Kashmir Sikkim. 1976